Thursday, February 1, 2007

Another Day In Fairbanks...

You would think that February 1 in Fairbanks, Alaska, would be rather miserable, but I'm here to claim to that it isn't. It was above zero today, and the sun is out for about seven hours a day right now, so we're happy!

It was so nice that I left work during lunch to soak up the sun and see what I could find. Upon leaving the office, I was immediately struck by the view from campus. I hope that I never take this view for granted because seeing the Alaska Range on the horizon is definitely a treat. The only problem is that is it hard to take a photograph that portrays the beauty that I am trying to express. If you look closely at the horizon on the picture below, hopefully you can make out four or five mountain peaks in the distance. In the foreground are the fields of the University Farm, which just celebrated its 100th anniversary last year.


Only another half mile down the road I came upon some people stacking ice blocks in anticipation of having someone make an ice carving in the days to come.


Sometimes it seems as if there is never a dull moment around here.

No comments: