Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day

On Memorial Day I had to fly to Juneau for a meeting that was starting the next morning. Since I hadn't been to Juneau before, I decided to take a morning flight out of Fairbanks, which would put me in Juneau around lunchtime and give myself a little time to explore.

I started my tour downtown where there were five cruise ships and all of their passengers. I didn't stick around long for fear I would run someone over with my rental car. There were people everywhere! If you look across the Channel to Douglas, you get an idea of the surroundings I was in (minus the people and humongous ships).

After exploring around town, I headed north as far as the road would take me. I figured that it wouldn't be too far because you can't actually drive to Juneau. You have to arrive via boat or plane. The beaches and views north of town were amazing, and there was a lot more pavement than I anticipated. If I remember correctly, the road was about 30 miles or so.


It started gettinga little later than I anticipated, and I still had to eat dinner, so a quick trip to Mendenhall glacier finished up the evening.

No comments: