Thursday, March 10, 2011

Aurora Watch 2011

The last couple of nights have been a dream for aurora enthusiasts. The lights have been out relatively early (~10pm), and the temperatures have been warm enough to endure standing outside to watch the colors swirling above. There was one problem I found…walking around on my porch in the dark while looking up at the sky instead of where I’m going can wind up being a little painful, but I won’t bore you with those details.

I couldn’t decide on one picture, so I offer several. That’s why you check this thing, right? For the pictures? I’m pretty sure it isn’t for the witty commentary, but if you’re looking to broaden your knowledge base, I may have a little tidbit for you. While looking up at the sky I started wondering what Native Alaskan lore says about the northern lights. I found a few different reports on the internet, all with a similar theme: ancestry. Some say the lights represent the souls of their ancestors, others that they are a bridge for the spirits to use on their way to the heavens, and yet another reports that the lights symbolize torches carried by ancestors who act as guides for people on their way to the after life. Other stories say that the motion of the lights represents the spirits dancing, drumming, and game playing. Whatever the case may be, I think it’s a beautiful idea to reflect on one’s ancestors while enjoying the quiet of the night and the beauty of the lights. Perhaps I’ll try it myself next time.








2 comments:

Shiway (and sometimes Dave) said...

awesome photos Rach! yes, I check your blog :)

Anonymous said...

Love you