Saturday, May 3, 2008

Training in California

I was in Santa Cruz, California, for a week of training. It was extra exciting to get out of Fairbabnks because the snow just won't go away!! It snowed another three or four inches while I was in California and has been logged as the third snowiest April on record.

Long Marine Lab UCSC was the location of our training. A lot of time was spent on computers, but we also got to be outside a bit.


There was a small beach in front of the lab, but it was pretty windy outside and was a little bit chilly to be hanging out in the sun. However, flip flops were definitely a welcome change for my feet. The only thing I didn't know was that there would be ticks and stinging nettles to plague my bare toes.


I quickly learned to put on closed toed shoes and socks when we were working in the field next to the lab. Here's a picture of Jeremy doing a walking antenna calibration, but I like to think that he's playing one of the three kings and bringing a gift to baby Jesus.


In addition to learning a lot, we also had a lot of fun. The training host company, CODAR, entertained us with a cook-out as well as a couple of dinners out on the town.


After training ended on Friday afternoon, I took the rest of the day to casually drive up Highway 1 to San Francisco. There were tons of beaches to explore. All you had to do was navigate your way down the cliffs!


Remember how I mentioned above that it was windy? Well, these wind surfers were definitely taking advantage of it. I've never seen so many wind surfers packed in to one area. It's a wonder they didn't get all tangled together, but something tells me this wasn't their first time.


And of course, what beach drive would be complete without a lighthouse?

No comments: