Friday, June 22, 2007

Happy Solstice!!!

Well, we will only have less sunlight per day from now until late December. That's right, the Summer Solstice is past, but not without a celebration of its importance here in Alaska.

Solstice began for me by attending the Solstice Festival in Downtown Fairbanks. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera, but I will do my best to document it through the art of word. Let me try to sum it up here...shirtless men, tattoos, pregnant women, long lines, not-as-many-tourists-as-years-past, good music, good food, and TONS of strollers, which all-in-all, makes for some fun and great people watching.

Upon arrival at the festival, I met my friend Carrie, and together we checked the schedule of events. We had about 30 minutes before we had to meet Duff, so we decided to listen to 'Northern River', a bluegrass band. We made our way to where they were supposed to be performing but instead found on stage several women in black tank tops and camouflage pants prowling about as if they were in the final act of 'Little Miss Sunshine.' Not exactly the performance we were expecting, so instead we decided to browse the food and vendor stands while we waited for Duff.

It was a good night strolling around town, and don't worry...we did get to see 'Northern River' in the end.

June 22, 2007, 1:15 AM

No comments: